Just trying to make life easier

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

JAMin with a POP3 account

POP3 account holders can still use the same messaging features as those with Exchange-enabled e-mail servers, however, this will be pull-based e-mail, meaning that the user will have to hit "Send/Receive" in order to download new messages, rather than them coming through automatically as with push-email. (which costs a fortune anyway!)

Below are instructions on how to set up a connection to a POP3 account using a i-mate JAMin. If you are using any other type of W5 Device it shouldn't be too dissimilar:

Before you start you will need the following information:
  • your email address
  • Your email account username & password
  • Account type (ie POP3 or IMAP4)
  • Incoming mail server address, outgoing mail server address & domain name. Your incoming/outgoing mail server address will probably look something like mail.provider.com.au.
  1. Go to: 'Start' / 'Messaging'
  2. Select 'Menu' from bottom right hand corner / 'Tools' / 'New Account...'
  3. Enter your email address, select 'Next'
  4. Wait for auto configuration to say 'Completed', slect 'Next'
  5. Enter your name as you want it displayed on your email. Also enter your username (usually this is your email address) and the password you normally use to log into your email; select 'save password'. Select 'Next'
  6. Select the account type (ie POP3) & a name for this account (eg Personal Email); Select 'Next'
  7. Enter your incoming & outgoing mail server addresses. I didn't enter in a domain.
  8. A popup will ask you if you want to download new email now.

Bob's your aunty! Too easy!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Setting up a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router (with WPA-PSK security)

    These instructions may be specific for firmware version 3.0, however it will give you somewhere to start :)

  1. Begin setup of your Linksys Wireless Router by first plugging in the power. Give it 10 seconds or so to initialise and then plug an ethernet cable into your wall jack and into the port on the back of the router marked Internet. Next get another ethernet cable and plug one end into your either your laptop (or ADSL modem) and the other into one of the ports labeled 1-4 on the router. Your computer is now properly connected to the router to begin its setup and configuration.

  2. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1/ into the address bar and press enter. A window will pop up prompting you for a username and password to access the configuration page for your router. Enter admin for both the username and password.

  3. You should see the setup page below:



  4. Click on the black Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen. Change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default value to something unique. Then Disable the Wireless SSID Broadcast option and click Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed. This will stop your network showing up on other people's available wireless network lists.

  5. You will no longer be able to access the internet or view the connection from your wireless networks list. Therefore you will have to go into your Wireless Network settings. Go to Start/Connect To/Show all connections. Right click on Wireless Network Connections and select Properties. Select the wireless network tab. Select the Add... button. Enter in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) you selected in step 4. Select OK. You should now be connected to the internet again.

  6. Repeat step 2.

  7. Now go back to the Wireless tab and select Wireless Security.

  8. Select WPA-Pre-Shared Key from the security mode drop down box. And TPIK from the WPA Algorithms drop down box. And chose a password (preferably a sentence with no spaces). Save settings.

  9. Again you will no longer be able to access the internet. Therefore follow step 4 again to get back into you connection settings, but this time select your network name from the preferred networks list and select Properties.

  10. Under Network Authentication select WPA-PSK.

  11. Under Data encryption select TKIP

  12. Enter you Network Key(password).

You're done! Easy huh?

NB: Make sure you change your administration login & username too (under the Administration tab).

    Thursday, June 15, 2006

    Keeping it simple

    The internet is obvioulsy full of great information. One can find instructions for almost everything. Unfortunately most of the information, for anything related to IT, assumes that everyone who needs information is just as technically clued up as those publishing the information. The use jargon may help 70% of the audience searching for that information, but that leaves the other 30% absolutely frustrated. As I had such great feedback from my JAMin with Optus post I will try to add things to my blog, from time to time, that would be of use to the other 30%.